Friday, July 18, 2008

Unable to change Power State of 802.11 wireless radio

The Fn+F5 key combination of my thinkpad X31 suddenly stopped working and kept giving an error dialog saying that: Unable to change Power State of 802.11 wireless radio.

I recalled I did change the configuration of my intel wireless 2100 3B adaptor recently and disabled a couple of protocols from its driver listing. After I enabled the "WLAN Transport" protocol as shown in the screenshot below, the Fn+F5 key worked again! It seems the hardware driver relys on WNMP to switch the power of the wireless radio.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is nothing because your blog is not interesting to read.

Anonymous said...

No it is interesting, but did not work for me this time, because the box is already checked. I will have to look elsewhere...

Anonymous said...

This advice had helped me greatly, & saved me being about from doing a system restore to a month ago get back the functionality. Somehow I must have did something to disable the WLAN Transport. Thanks.!

Anonymous said...

Worked for me too.. Thanx!

Vladimir said...

Thank you very much for posting. In my case WLAN Transport protocol was not installed somehow. Installed, rebooted. 801.11 is on the list of Fn+F5 functions. You saved me a lot of time. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

You need to update wireless driver and also install IBM Access Connection.

This should fix the problem.

Unknown said...

i was unable to power on my wireless radio from fn f5. after reading this blog, i unchecked and then checked wlan transport and it was fixed. thanks!

Unknown said...

You are my saviour!! I was stressed for hours about this issue but your fix did the magic!! thanks a bunch!